Welcome to Alliance Calgary Live Action Role-Playing
Our Live Action Role-Play group (LARP) is based on a fantasy setting of our own creation using the Alliance Ruleset. Our world is one of "high fantasy" akin to Lord of the Rings and Dungeons and Dragons. Players create medeival fantasy characters to enter our world and face the wonders, trials and conflicts that our PLOT team comes up with. It's time to "BE ALL YOU CAN'T BE"! Whether you decide to become a heavily armoured fighter, a spell casting scholar or even just a local merchant peddeling your wares, there will be something for you to do in Alliance. Every character has a destiny, you decide what to make of yours! Our LARP is for those 18+ years of age due to content and insurance requirements.
Our King is in need of rescue for the Medusa Families of Duskholm. The ArchMage has ordered all able bodied adventurers back to Parspn's Breach as the snow abaites to accomplish this task.
More information here
April 29, 2013
All of our players need to let us know they are attending events as far in advance as possible! Our PLOT team needs to know who is coming and as which PC to ensure our storylines work with them! To Pre-register there are 2 steps:
1. Fill out the Pre-Registration Form Here
2. Pay for your event. You can do so online here or in person at Myth Games
May 24-26: Fey Runnings
June 21-24: A Kingdom for a Cure
July 19-21: Festival of Crows
Aug 23-25: A Valed Threat
Sept 20-22: Bladehunting
Oct 18-20: Clearcut
Nov 15-17: Destiny Finale of Season 2
Updated: April 10,2013
Off with a Baaaaa
Our LARP is in full swing! We have just completed our first full weekend event and have 5 more to go this season! You can check them all out on our Events page
Updated: May 16, 2012
We are working hard to constantly update this site with the latest infromation that we have access to. We are adding to the site constantly to help players get the information they need to get involved in the LARP!
Our LARP in the media!
Shaw Cable came out to an event and made up a clever little "spot"! Thanks to all our LARPers for having fun with the boys from Shaw!
Our little LARP has attracted a lot of media attention!
CBC Calgary had a news story about us on June 19th,2012 You can find the story here
And CityTV's Mike Yawney (the Gadget Guy) had us on location May 31st for the morning filming at Crescent Heights Park. Watch the 15 minute video!
All the Information you will need
Lots of things from what you need to participate, things you will want to bring for your first weekend event as well as all the background information you need to create a fantastic character (PC). Browse through the site, take a look around! If you have any questions just head to the Contact Us page and we will do our best to reply to you quickly!
We know that there can be a great "intimidation factor" to coming out. Costuming, building a character, getting a weapon etc. We have work days where you can come learn the "basics" including Combat Training. Check out our Calendar of Events for all the information. Our Information page gives you some more information about where to get costuming, building a boffer weapon etc.
So what are the "nuts and bolts"?
Our LARP is designed for those 18+ years of age due to content and insurance policies.
We charge for events because we have to pay for them ourselves!
Our Weekend Events have a pre-registration fee of $75. This covers our rental of the Lion's Youth Camp in Cremona.
If you are BRAND NEW to Alliance we have a new player deal! $50 covers your first event!
This includes a weekend membership and your weekend fee. This rate is only for players that have never been out to any events previously or are from another Chapter. This rate applies to PRE-REGISTERED AND PRE-PAYMENT. If you need to pay on site the fee is $65.00.
We also offer a meal service for weekend events. It's $25 and includes breakfast on both Saturday and Sunday plus a Saturday evening supper.
Memberships are $40 for the year. This cost covers our insurance and also gives us some money to spend on props, costumes and the bits to run events. You can get a weekend pass for $10 on your first time out. Again this covers you under our insurance. (This weekend pass is INCLUDED in your fee if you are BRAND NEW to Calgary Alliance)
Please note that when it comes to Boffers and Latex/Foam weapons, just because you buy or build it does not automatically mean we will accept it into the LARP. There are of course safety and quality tests that need to be performed on all weapons brought into our game. Weapons sold at Myth Games (EPIC armoury weapons) are pre-tested and those are guaranteed to be accepted. Other makes and manufacturers are at your own risk of being rejected for varous safety reasons (the Rulebook goes over the safety concerns of all weapons).
This goes the same for Shields and Armour. If it is purchased or built, there are strict guidlines we need to follow to ensure that the items are all "legal" for our game. There are minimum/maximum dimensions for Shields and metal armour cannot have any "jagged" edges (to prevent damage to players and their weapons). All of these items are covered in the Alliance Rulebook (ARB)
New Player recruitment:
As a recruitment initiative we offer the following to recruiters:
For each player that you bring to a weekend event (and they must pre-register and pre-pay) you will get a Frost Titan Token. These are basically 250 gobbies worth of special items that you get to use. You can get a MAXIMUM of 4 Tokens per event.
For the NEW PLAYER we are offering a weekend/membership package for $50.00. This includes their event fee and temporary membership. The Food Option is $15.00 for the new player.
Once the NEW PLAYER purchases their yearly membership and attends another weekend event, you will receive a Magic Item pick as per our NPC MI policy (we have a list of items and how many Goblin Stamps it costs you to purchase it). We will also have a couple of “introductory” modules for BRAND NEW players during the weekend events that will help them learn the basics of the game.
We have one In Game event per month. During the "cold months" (Nov- April) we will be hosting evening events (called Faire Days). These can be a simple "tavern" night to an elaborate "masquerade".
From May to October we run our weekend events. Players can come out for some or all of an event. These events are completely in game from 7pm Friday to 2pm Sunday!
You can find our calendar of events here.
All players MUST fill out this waiver before they can play. It has medical information we require in case something happens to you at an event (injury, allergic reaction etc). Players will not be allowed to engage in our events until this waiver is signed. It is form -fillable and we ask that players use that function to ensure acuracy of data. (in otherwords, sometimes player's handwriting is nearly impossible to decipher!)
There are a lot of things you may run into on the site and for our ease of getting the information out here are some common terms that will be spread out throughout the website (and many of the documents)
- PC- Player Character- the persona you take on during events
- NPC- Non-player Character. This is our Monsters and personas that players assume to challenge the players and give them information they require (such as the King is an NPC)
- IG- In Game. When you are at an event you are always considered to be In Game and must play your character appropriately and not break character.
- OOG- Out-of Game. Sometimes you go OOG for things like cooking your food or sleeping. Monsters will be OOG if they have to pass through the IG area on their way to set up a module. You need to show you are OOG by wearing a WHITE headband. You should never be OOG in an IG area.
- Ops- Operations Manager, the owner of the Chapter
- GM- General Manager of Alliance Calgary
- PLOT- the person(s) in charge of writing the story and adventures for all of our events
- GS or Goblin Stamps- These are "rewards" and "thank yous" given to players and NPCs for volunteering, donations etc. They are collected and spent to improve your PC and purchase IG benefits.
- Logistics (LOG)- Logistics is where all the people that actually run the event are located. These people print out character cards, monster cards, item "tags" etc. These are the people at the weekend that run the show.
- Physrep- A physical representation of any IG item. Saying you swing your sword is much different that actually wielding the physrep.
- LCO- Local Chapter Only. These are items/abilities/rewards that will only work in Calgary.
Alliance Rulebook v1.1 ARB
As we use the Alliance LARP rulebook there are 2 ways to get your hands on this. All players are expected to have a copy of this book with them for events.
- Purchase a copy of the book from Alliance Calgary. It is soft covered. $22.00 CDN
- Purchase a PDF online from Alliance. It is only $5.99USD. Please note that you need to have a printed copy with you for events. You are not premitted to bring any electronics IG.